I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. We’ll see where we are end of month.
- Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200. This will start in late May.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. Not yet.
- Save $1800 for outdoor playset. Not yet.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40thbirthday trip ($125/month). Not yet.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. I spent $123.38 for groceries out of my $500/month budget this week. I will get a $5 Ibotta rebate that will get tucked away and eventually added to my Roth IRA fund. Why bother fussing with those rebates? Just $5 per week adds up to $260 to add to my fund by the end of the year. That’s about 5% of what I need to save to max my Roth. I spent $15 at a restaurant Monday night. Saturday I see a show using tickets through a subscription I bought last year. I will have to pay for parking and lunch though-maybe $15?
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
- Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo. I had an hour-long orientation session for a local organization that works with refugees and immigrants. We sponsor a child in Guinea through Plan USA, and have paid our $27 sponsorship fee for the month (I have been sponsoring since 1996, so my fee is lower than a new sponsor fee.)
- Complete my master’s degree! I have 8 portfolio submissions due by 1/9/17. I completed one on Monday, two on Tuesday, and two are planned for today. The remaining three will be done this weekend on Saturday/Sunday. I submitted three required documents for my practicum and followed up with two preceptors whot still need to sign and submit the agreements. I talked with one preceptor for 30 minutes on Monday to discuss my goals for my onsite teaching experience and I have good footing to start preparing for that teaching experience. I completed one homework submission on Tuesday and have one planned for today. I will do the third, fourth, and fifth over the next two days,since I need to focus on my portfolio this weekend. If I have to, I can finish homework on Monday that is due that night at midnight
- One date per month with the mister. No dates this week!
- Read 1 book/month. I put a few things on hold on the digital library app, but I have no time to read between homework and my portfolio.
Monthly me-time with friends.I met my two fellow Girl Scout troop leaders at a local place for drinks to plan some meetings and kvetch. I’m seeing A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder on Saturday and will lunch with a friend beforehand. Monthly outing with friends: check!
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. This is going to be languishing until late spring.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container. My Aunt Judy gave me scrap fabric to practice with for Christmas. No time this week.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. I am detoxing from the holidays. No cake and cookies for us.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I started keeping track on MyFitnessPal again. I have hit it everyday this week so far.
- Survive my practicum without eating fast food. It starts the last week of January. No planning done yet.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. I played with the toddler on Sunday while the other two were occupied. I played Battleship with my son yesterday and am plotting some Easy Bake Oven time with the soon-to-be six-year-old before Saturday.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet.
- Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. There was a random roll of wrapping paper sitting in that mess and I put it in the gift bag tote in the basement. Does that count?
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. My son’s old coats were sitting on the pile and I sent them back to the closet. I went through a small stack of papers and shredded them..
- Get the toddler potty trained! We are using a free printable reward chart. At least she isn’t refusing to sit on the potty every time,but she is still going in her pull-up a few times a day.
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope.
- Plant front yard tree. It’s still winter.
- Paint half bath. Not yet.
- Visit 6 different parks. Too cold!
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. School has the priority this week.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. I got one post done this week. It’s been so long, I had to scramble around to find my login password!
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my practicum.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. Not yet.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. These are my most popular posts by far! I have the ideas for four more menus. Stay tuned mid-month for the first of those!
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out.
- Interview one person for the blog. Not yet.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.