I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I have $750 in my fund but I haven’t closed out March yet and expect to transfer more. The mister has $1000 but hasn’t transferred the extra over and won’t do so until taxes are done.
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.The classes won’t start until the last week of May, but we have opted to do their summer fast track lessons. They are held in two-week sessions of 4 times a week lessons each summer. We decided to get two two-week sessions and are basically having lessons 4 times a week through the month of June. This leaves the rest of the summer open. The cost was $643 and half the amount we originally expected to spend. We cash-flowed this one.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. I transferred $88 to my savings fund in January and February. I have $176. I plan to save $88/month for this. I will transfer $88 again when I do my March close-out.
- Save $1800 for outdoor playset. This is back on. My FIL suggested that even if we move (and that is up in the air still) we could always break it down and bring it with us. Nothing yet. We will probably order it after taxes are done, because the Mister wants to do one big project at a time.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. I have picked up extra hours the last two weeks of this month, and I have a little surplus,but I’ll see where I am for sure by next week.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. March was a 5-week month and I budgeted $625. I spent $638 last month, which is slightly over. We just vastly increased our amount of organic produce, dairy, and meats through Green Bean delivery so I’m not sure if we need to inch up the budget more or not. I spent about $80 on entertainment.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week! I have two weeks off starting today and this is on my agenda.
Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo.We had two Girl Scout meetings this month. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan. I also started donating $42/month to St. Jude’s every month for the next 12 month. I almost didn’t get a clinical placement for my teaching practicum, and truly thought I would have to withdraw from school and try again in 10 weeks. I found one at the 11th hour and this was my pledge. Although I am a lapsed Catholic, I am way too superstitious to blow this off.
- Complete my master’s degree! I turned in my last project today. I will now have 2 weeks off before I do my last 10 weeks. The last day of my program is July 3rd!
Date night with the husband once per month.We hired a sitter and celebrated our birthdays at our favorite local foodie joint. Read 1 book per month–I just finished Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert last week. I am on a roll thanks to my reduced homework load this week and am already 75% of the way through Julian Fellowes’ Belgravia. If you loved Downton Abbey, you may enjoy his novels, as he is the writer of the entire series. I borrowed this book from the library and it is definitely pushing all of my Downton Abbey buttons. I have already added his other novels to my digital library wish list. Monthly me-time with friends.The Girl and I saw Beauty and the Beast this month with the half-price tickets I scored on Atom and last Friday I am went out with a couple girls from work for a nice kvetching session. This afternoon the kids and I had a family lunch with my mother, aunts, a cousin, my sisters, SIL,and niece. Next month I am seeing Matilda the Musical and am traveling an hour to another city to hang out with my bestie for our birthdays.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. It’s April 1st! I need to pull it out and have it ready tomorrow. I work 3 days this week and 1.5 days on the kids’ spring break the week after, so I should have plenty of time to crochet. I anticipate a little TV catch-up time and crocheting when the big kids are both in school in the morning and the little is playing.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container but I am penciling it in for this week. My big goal is to set it up on Monday and learn how to work a few of the simple settings using scrap fabric from my Aunt Judy.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. We made rice krispie treats for the Mister’s birthday this month. I gained back 5 pounds of the 20 I lost during my practicum so I’m calling a moratorium on this for at least a couple months. I am off Monday and Friday and plan to take the little to the YMCA so I can hit the elliptical machines or take a Zumba class.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I have hit it 7 out of 7 days this week. I have been keeping this glass water bottle on my desk. It holds 22 ounces, so I am drinking my normal 4 cups of tea a day and 2 of these bottles to hit my quota.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. We are all set for summer camp right now (our older kids will do 2-3 weeks each, computer programming and 3-day cub scout camp for the boy, art for the girl, and a combined week of outdoor park camp for both), and have an inkling about when the schedule allows.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I always have lots of quality time when the bigs are in school. Our 6 year old and I worked on her Goldieblox. I read a chapter of a book out loud to The Boy before bed several times.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet. I donated some of them to a little boy moving here from the Philippines who is being treated at the local children’s hospital. Our 6 years old needed new shoes and decided she loved her brother’s gently used Star Wars shoes and the worn-only-once black hiking boots. I might work on this during spring break.
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. We plan on making the girls’ combined birthday present a fish tank. The fish tank is on the counter and the Mister is getting it ready for a fish still. The water needs prep for several weeks now that it is clean.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. The clearing off I did is still intact and looking good. I will work on this more over these next two weeks.
Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day. She is having an accident maybe once a week at most. I no longer remind her to go every hour and she has been managing fine.I was even comfortable taking her to the Olive Garden without a pull-up today, and there were no accidents. Even her night-time diapers have been dry 90% of the time. I have put off our monthly Subscribe and Save order of Huggies Pull-ups. This will save us $20-30/month!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. This is a project I want to work on this coming Friday.
- Plant front yard tree. Spring is officially here, so we need to start thinking about this. We are thinking of a small Japanese Maple. Again,another larger project the Mister won’t think about until after taxes.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. We will need to repaint the ceiling when the ceiling is repaired, so we are talking about just painting the living room, which has never been painted since we moved in 12 years ago, the half bath, and the master bedroom. The ceiling won’t be repaired until the Mister fixes the master bath shower, which – well, who knows when that will happen…Probably after taxes. At least it’s covered well enough that the casual eye can’t see a big hole.
- Visit 6 different parks. Spring is here! I have a couple places on my list to try. We will hit one on Spring Break for sure. Let’s hope Mother Nature doesn’t send us a week’s worth of rain.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. I am plotting my schedule for week two of spring break and may add one of these.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. This is on the agenda for this week!
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale. I may do this during this coming week.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week, but I also haven’t been very active on other blogs that bring traffic, thanks to practicum hell.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I am planning this for next week.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’sis complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.