I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. We just finished taxes last night but haven’t discussed where we are yet. I will transfer my 2016 Roth funds over in a few days. More next week on how 2017 looks!
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.The classes won’t start until the last week of May, but we have opted to do their summer fast track lessons. The cost was $643 and half the amount we originally expected to spend. We cash-flowed this one. Boom!
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. $264 in the Christmas savings so far.
$1800$3000? for outdoor play set. This is back on. My FIL suggested that even if we move (and that is up in the air still) we could always break it down and bring it with us. This week I am weeding flower beds and ordering mulch. We have to level out part of the yard with extra mulch to get the play set to settle evenly, but we will be ordering it within the next week or two. News: it may cost more than $1800. The Mister doesn’t want to get one that will quickly degrade in a couple of seasons.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. I am not putting anything towards this until the play set is bought. The good news is that my friends and I will probably be staying rent-free at one of the ladies’ parents Florida condo for our big trip. Flight, car rental, and spending money will likely be all I need.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. March was a 5-week month and I budgeted $625. I spent $638 last month, which is slightly over. I am probably going to go over this month due to our twice yearly Sam’s haul, and the Mister is not on board with me skimping on the rest of the month to make it squeak by. After we have had Green Bean for 3 months,we will reevaluate our food budget to see if we need to raise it.Now that I am out of school, we are focusing on nutrition and organic foods more. I may have mentioned it before, but after changing to grass-fed meats and dairy and getting more Omega-3s in my diet, my lipids were normal for the first time in 20 years,and that includes the years I was a vegan and vegetarian. We spent about $40 on a family dinner out (with coupon) last night and $5 on a movie rental.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo.We had one Girl Scout meeting this month so far. We will have another meeting in a week and we will also be doing an Earth Day service project cleaning up a park. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan. I also started donating $42/month to St. Jude’s every month for the next 12 month. I almost didn’t get a clinical placement for my teaching practicum, and truly thought I would have to withdraw from school and try again in 10 weeks. I found one at the 11th hour and this was my pledge. Although I am a lapsed Catholic, I am way too superstitious to blow this off. Goal hit 3 of 12 months.
- Complete my master’s degree! I am on break and I start my last 10 weeks on the 18th. The last day of my program is July 3rd!
- Date night with the husband once per month. We plan on using our Groupon for a local dinner/movie place at the end of the month. Our only cost will be the sitter.
Read 1 book per month–I am on a roll and finished Julian Fellowes’ Belgravia a few days ago. I loved it. Not only that, but I started and finished the book Dyslexia Advocate in 24 hours last Wednesday/Thursday to prepare before a school meeting. If you have a child with dyslexia, I highly recommend it. I am already 60% of the way through a more fluffy book, Holly Madison’s The Vegas Diaries. I got it through the Ohio Digital Library. It’s OK- let’s just say I’m glad I didn’t pay for it, because if you read the first book, it doesn’t really do more than expand a little on what was already covered in the 2nd half of that book. This makes 5-going-on-6 books read out of 12.
- Monthly me-time with friends. At the end of this month I am traveling an hour to another city to hang out with my bestie for our birthdays.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. I ended up running a lot of errands on my days off this week and haven’t touched it. It’s next to my chair, though, so I might do some tonight. On the bright side, I got all of the paperwork completed, including the bits signed by the doctor, to register our youngest for preschool in the fall!
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. OK, didn’t happen last week, but planning on Tuesday!
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. We are making rice krispie treats with Lucky Charms again and molding them into Easter Eggs for our contribution to Easter Lunch this week.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I have hit it 7 out of 7 days this week. I have been keeping this glass water bottle on my desk. It holds 22 ounces, so I am drinking my normal 4 cups of tea a day and 2 of these bottles to hit my quota.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. No date set yet.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I always have lots of quality time when the bigs are in school. Our 6 year old and I pulled weeds together last night and the Boy and I did some reading.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet. I am putting this off this until the summer
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. We plan on making the girls’ combined birthday present a fish tank. The fish tank is on the counter and the Mister is getting it ready for a fish still. The water needs prep for several weeks now that it is clean.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. The clearing off I did is still intact and looking good. I will work on this more over this next week.
Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day. Even her night-time diapers have been dry 90% of the time. I have put off our monthly Subscribe and Save order of Huggies Pull-ups. This will save us $20-30/month. Success!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. This is a project I want to work on this week but I don’t know if it will make the cut.
Plant front yard tree.We learned this week that if we let the old roots decompose for another year, it will be easier to plant the new tree in the same spot next year and require a smaller hole. Bonus: it will save us money this year. We will be filling in the area and planting a little grass instead. Deferred! New goal: weeding and mulching flower beds, improving the plantings in the beds, replacing all outdoor lights (several are broken), and fixing and painting the mailbox. We just ordered the new lights today and spent yesterday weeding.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. The taxes are done as of this weekend. Next on agenda is fixing a leak in the master bath so we are safe to finally drywall the ceiling. Once that is done we paint!
- Visit 6 different parks. Spring is here! We tried a new park last weekend and yet another today! Two of six completed.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. I am plotting my schedule for week two of spring break and may add one of these.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. This is on the agenda for this week!
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week, but I also haven’t been very active on other blogs that bring traffic, thanks to practicum hell.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I am planning this for next week.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’sis complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.