I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted anything at all, I know. When I took two weeks off from grad school, I decided to take two weeks off everything else I could, and it was wonderful.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I am thrilled to say the Mister is already nearing 100% with his 2017 Roth and is at $4500. I have $1000.
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.The classes won’t start until the last week of May, but we have opted to do four weeks of their summer fast track lessons. The cost was $643 and half the amount we originally expected to spend. We cash-flowed this one. Boom! Save $3000 for HVAC replacement.This will be sitting in savings until next year, but we are also at 100% for this as well. Done!
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. We tend to build up and then dump every few months, so we’ll see how this looks at the end of summer.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. $264 in my Christmas savings so far.
$1800$3000? for outdoor play set. This is on the Mister’s proscrastination pile. Summer break starts in about 10 days, so I’m a little annoyed.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. We’ll probably do a dump into this fund in the fall.
$500600/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on my fun money. I signed up with Platejoy.com to help me plan low-carb healthy meals within the macros I am striving to meet. I’m on my 4th week of this and we are still happy with the meal options. Our grocery budget is hovering around $150 per week, but I’m going to play with it a couple more weeks and see if it levels out.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo.This month, we will have our last two Girl Scout meetings of the school year and I am trying to set a date for my next twice-exceptional parents meeting for early June. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan and $42/ to St. Jude’s in April and May. I donated an additional $20 to a funeral fund for someone in my hometown.
- Complete my master’s degree! As of this coming Monday, I will have 4 weeks of homework to go! The last day of my program is July 3rd. Graduation is mid-August.
- Date night with the husband once per month. Our 11th anniversary was last week, but we won’t have our official celebration until Grandma takes the kids for an overnight at the end of the month.
Read 1 book per month–I just finished Organizing Solutions for People With ADHD, and have quite a list of changes I am making in this house that the book recommends . I started Hedda Hopper’s The Whole Truth and Nothing But and am about 40% done. I am finding it a bit discombobulated and all over the place, so I’m not sure if I will finish. I try to pick a fluffy book on weeks I have homework. This makes 8-going-on 9 books read out of 12.
- Monthly me-time with friends. This coming week, I am going out to dinner with my two work buddies.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. I have added on about 4 more inches during my break.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. OK, didn’t happen yet. I have a million Girl Scout patches to sew on. The last meeting is Tuesday and I am 100% certain they will not be on by then,since I have 3 pieces of heavy schoolwork to complete.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. No cakes planned until the summer.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. Maybe 2 days this week? I have been running around too much on days I don’t work. This end of school month is super busy.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. Maybe July?
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I always have lots of quality time when the bigs are in school. I chaperoned my son’s trip to the zoo Friday and my 6 year old and I baked two batches of cookies this week.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet. I am putting this off this until the summer
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. Done!
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. Ack! This is piling up again!
Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day. Even her night-time diapers have been dry 90% of the time. I have put off our monthly Subscribe and Save order of Huggies Pull-ups. This will save us $20-30/month. Success!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. I hope to have this done by end of summer.
Plant front yard tree.We learned that if we let the old roots decompose for another year, it will be easier to plant the new tree in the same spot next year and require a smaller hole. Bonus: it will save us money this year. We filled in the area and planted a little grass instead. Deferred! New goal: weeding and mulching flower beds, improving the plantings in the beds, replacing all outdoor lights (several are broken), and fixing and painting the mailbox. Weeding and mulching has been done, and a few flowers bought. The mister replaced all outdoor lights and scrubbed off the algae growing on the mailbox and the north-facing side of our house.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. Next on agenda is fixing a leak in the master bath so we are safe to finally drywall the ceiling. Once that is done we paint!
- Visit 6 different parks. Spring is here! We tried three new parks so far, the last one being the state park where we hiked for Girl Scouts. Three of six completed.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. Maybe next Monday?
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. Let’s be real, until my degree is done, this is on the backburner. I have posted on the Facebook page a few times though.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week, but I also haven’t been very active on other blogs that bring traffic. I gave myself permission to relax during my break.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. Yikes! I am still procrastinating on this.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’sis complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.