I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. We’ll see where we are end of month.
- Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200. This will start in late May.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. Not yet.
- Save $1800 for outdoor playset. Our 6 year old flooded the kids’ bathroom two days ago, causing it to rain in our living room, and we had to cut a hole in the downstairs ceiling to let it dry out and keep mold from growing. Depending on the cost to fix the ceiling, we may be nixing this goal. Stay tuned.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). Not yet.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. I spent $126.02 for groceries out of my $500/month budget this week. I will get a $1 Ibotta rebate that will get tucked away and eventually added to my Roth IRA fund. Why bother fussing with those rebates? Just $5 per week adds up to $260 to add to my fund by the end of the year. That’s about 5% of what I need to save to max my Roth. As far as entertainment, we spent an impromptu $30 at Chick-Fil-A where we let the kids run wild and we had “date” time on Saturday, and I spent $18 on lunch and parking on Saturday before seeing a show. We’re already at$63!
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
- Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo. Yesterday we had our Daisy troop meeting from 615-745. That clocks 90 minutes for me this week.
- Complete my master’s degree! I was up to the wee hours Sunday night completing all of my portfolio submissions. I was up until 10 last night completing all of my homework that was due by midnight. Today is a new week, and we have work due in two classes instead of one. *sob* I had a meeting with my clinical preceptors at Indiana University East and we have set all of my clinical dates. It will all be OB, and I think it will be fun. I love OB! My preceptor sent a couple copies of the books home with me, so I didn’t have to purchase them. I also learned the campus police will allow me to park as a visitor as long as I check in every time I go there, so no need to buy a parking pass. I bought the books I needed to teach an online session of Leadership and Management, and since I will be helping to rewrite the course as part of my master’s project experience, I only had to buy books for a single class. I used my $25 Amazon gift card from Swagbucks to help with the costs. I did have to spent $72 to buy a scrub top, pants, and lab coat, and replace my watch, which appears to have croaked. Since I will probably be teaching again at some point, and am considering subbing as a school nurse in our district, that watch purchase is not a waste. I bought the scrubs on sale and I can sell my scrubs on Ebay if I need to do so.
One date per month with the mister.Impromptu Chik-Fil-A date. Check!
- Read 1 book/month. There will be no time until next week.
Monthly me-time with friends.I met my two fellow Girl Scout troop leaders at a local place for drinks to plan some meetings and kvetch. I saw A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder and lunched with a friend beforehand. Monthly outing with friends: check!
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. So. Much. Homework.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. This is going to be languishing until late spring.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container. My Aunt Judy gave me scrap fabric to practice with for Christmas. No time this week. My friend Dawn is talking about coming up for a visit and teaching me to sew.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. I am detoxing from the holidays. No cake and cookies for us- at least until our Girl Scout Cookies are delivered.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I started keeping track on MyFitnessPal again. I have hit it every day this week so far.
- Survive my practicum without eating fast food. It starts the last week of January. My clinicals will be from 12p-5p once a week with an hour drive each way. I won’t need a meal break but I think I may bring a small cooler in my van with cheese, crackers, jerky, nuts, and bottled water for the drive home.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. This week may be a bit of a fail. I have had to sequester myself writing papers.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet.
- Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. Don’t tell my kids, but I secretly threw away a few of the broken toy bits that had been shoved up on that counter.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. I was forced to move things around to try and find out if I had some of the old textbooks from my BSN program. (Nope, I sold them all). I have three bankers boxes full of books in my hall now, but I shredded and recycled quite a few papers. I now have space on the bookcase to actually put all of my nursing texts. As a bonus, my wallet had been falling apart and I knew I had a Tommy Hilfiger wallet that my SIL gave me when she worked for Tommy Europe years ago. I just couldn’t find it! I found it on the bookcase and am now using it instead of buying a wallet on Ebay.
- Get the toddler potty trained! We are using a free printable reward chart. She had been refusing to even consider wearing underwear, and she let me put some on last night. She peed on our floor 4 times before bed.
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope.
- Plant front yard tree. It’s still winter.
- Paint half bath. Not yet.
- Visit 6 different parks. Too cold!
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. School has the priority this week again.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. I’ve been in school emergency mode and have not posted once.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my practicum.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. My traffic was up this week! Several days I hit double what I usually hit.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. These are my most popular posts by far! I have the ideas for four more menus. This is on my agenda for this weekend after I finish my school work.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.