I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
Week Twenty- Two
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. Holding steady at $4500 for the Mister and I have $1000, but that won’t likely change until my work hours increase later this summer.
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.Classes started this week. The cost was $643 to do summer fast-track lessons and was half the amount we originally expected to spend. We cash-flowed this one. Boom! Save $3000 for HVAC replacement.This will be sitting in savings until next year, but we are also at 100% for this as well. Done!
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. We tend to build up and then dump every few months, so we’ll see how this looks at the end of summer.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. $589 in my Christmas savings so far once my $300 Amazon Trade-In credits come through. I shipped all 13 books and have started getting the emails saying my gift cards have been added. I am hoping to come under budget for Christmas when I institute the Rule of Four this year (1 want, 1 need, 1 things to wear, and 1 to read). I also have sold $25 worth of items on a Facebook sale page.
$1800 $3000? for outdoor play set. I can’t get this done without the Mister’s cooperation, and he is still in procrastination mode.
7. Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. We’ll probably do a dump into this fund in the fall. I have a tentative date next June for our 40th birthday girl’strip to Florida, and I know we’ll probably getting a flight there. I hope to use my travel miles for it.
8. Spend 600/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on my fun money. I signed up with Platejoy.com to help me plan low-carb healthy meals within the macros I am striving to meet. I spent $127.12 this month so far.
9. Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Nope. Hasn’t happened.
10. Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and
$50/mo. This month, we don’t have any volunteer activities planned, but we are stretched to the max with medical appointments and swimming lessons. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan and $42/ to St. Jude’s .
- Complete my master’s degree! After completing this week’s work, I have only 2 weeks of work left. I have this week off, and then two weeks in a row to finish it out. The last day of my program is July 3rd. Graduation is mid-August.
- Date night with the husband once per month. We have nothing planned for June so far, and I am trying to figure out how to squeeze one in.
Read 1 book per month–I am about 90% done with The Rule of Benedict. I just finished Carrie Fisher’s Wishful Drinking and The Princess Diarist and found them entertaining. This makes 14-going-on-15 read out of 12. Goal met! Monthly me-time with friends.I used a Groupon at a local vegetarian restaurant yesterday with my friend Jennifer.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. I have not touched this since my last break.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. OK, didn’t happen yet.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. No cakes planned until the summer.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I probably hit it every day this week.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. We have plans for July.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. Lots of 1: 1 time on my days off this week.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. I posted 7 things on our neighborhood garage sale while we were quarantined in the house. I sold a too-small pack of swim diapers, a too-small infant’s life vest, have several people interested in our old cloth folding hamper and my son’s size 8 jeans. I posted his shirt from the recent wedding on Ebay. I have a few more things to post, but I am making headway.
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. Done! Clear out our study corner hot spot.I hit this hard and totally redid my office using the organization suggested in Organizing Solutions For People with ADHD. The corner is cleared out and the bookshelf is more usable, especially since I sold most of my nursing texts to Amazon. I went through and tossed, shredded, or filed most papers, used colored files for easy visual recognition, pared those files down to only about 10, and cleared out my desk. Done! Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day. Even her night-time diapers have been dry 90% of the time. I have put off our monthly Subscribe and Save order of Huggies Pull-ups. This is saving us $20-30/month. Success!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. I hope to have this done by end of summer.
Plant front yard tree.We learned that if we let the old roots decompose for another year, it will be easier to plant the new tree in the same spot next year and require a smaller hole. Bonus: it will save us money this year. We filled in the area and planted a little grass instead. Deferred! New goal: weeding and mulching flower beds, improving the plantings in the beds, replacing all outdoor lights (several are broken), and fixing and painting the mailbox. I have ordered some bulbs to be shipped in the fall to replace the irises and lilies that died when our tree fell on them last year. We still need to paint the mailbox. My husband will be playing in Underwater Hockey Nationals (click the link to see a video) next weekend and we aren’t doing any house-related things until after then. Right now there are too many extra practices.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. This also makes the Procrastination List until after Nationals.
- Visit 6 different parks. We tried three new parks so far, the last one being the state park where we hiked for Girl Scouts. We have plans to visit Winton Woods and Highfield Discovery Garden in July when some friends are camped there. My sister and I plan to take the kids to Shawnee Lookout and Smale Park this summer too. Three of six completed.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Nope
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. Let’s be real, until my degree is done, this is on the backburner.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with. I dug out my passwords this week, so when I have time I can check it.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I hit it several times this week.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I did brainstorm part of my next post this week when I was stuck under a sick 3 year old.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’s is complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.