I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Week Twenty- Five
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. The Mister has all he needs for this year’s Roth savings and I have $1250. We hope for me to start picking up about 3 shifts per week once school starts in mid-August, so I can increase my savings. It’s going to be difficult,though, because we are paying $300/month out of pocket for dyslexia tutoring and we just got a denial for our son’s PT and OT, which is $800/month without insurance coverage. I am fighting it, so we shall see :/. Half done!
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.We completed our last swimming class Thursday,and I am looking forward to a break from the four-day-a-week routine. Each child went up one level in their skills, so it was a success. We cash-flowed this one. Boom! Save $3000 for HVAC replacement.This will be sitting in savings until next year, but we are also at 100% for this as well. Done!
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. We tend to build up and then dump every few months, so we’ll see how this looks at the end of summer.
- Save $
1050650 for Christmas. Thanks to the $300 in Amazon Trade-in Credits from selling my grad school textbooks, I have completed Christmas shopping for my kids with the exception of red cowboy boots for my daughter and a book or two for each child. We decided we would stick to 4-5 gifts per child, and that has reduced our budget. The rest of the gifts will be small or just cash, and I am about $60 from goal. I plan on selling the rest of my textbooks when I am done with school in 2 weeks. Almost done!
6. Save ? for outdoor play set. Is this happening? Not if we are paying out of pocket for expensive therapy.
7. Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. We’ll probably do a dump into this fund in the fall. I have a tentative date next June for our 40th birthday girl’s trip to Florida, and I know we’ll probably be getting a flight there. I hope to use my travel miles for it. We are staying in a friend’s parent’s condo for free.
8. Spend $600/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on my fun money. I spent $356.94 this month so far in groceries and $83 in fun money thanks to the festival. We don’t have any spendy plans for the rest of the month, just going to parks, the community pool, and $1 ice cream at a local ice cream place.
9. Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Nope. Hasn’t happened.
10. Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and
$50/mo. This month, I don’t have any volunteer activities planned, but we are stretched to the max with medical appointments and swimming lessons. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan and $42/ to St. Jude’s .
- Complete my master’s degree! I am working on homework today and tomorrow. My LAST week of school starts Tuesday. I am only working one and half shifts this week to give myself time to get the last of my work done. The last day of my program is July 3rd. Graduation is mid-August.
- Date night with the husband once per month. We have nothing planned for June and it just ain’t happening this month. I think we’ll relax and watch some vintage Dr Who next Saturday, and I might bake the family a treat.
Read 1 book per month–I finished Brown Girl Dreaming and started Julian Fellowes’ Snobs, which also was finally available after a long hold time. I haven’t made much progress this week,and won’t be able to until I complete the rest of my grad school homework. This makes 16-going-on-17 read out of 12. Goal met! Monthly me-time with friends.I used a Groupon at a local vegetarian restaurant with my friend Jennifer.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. I have not touched this since my last break.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. OK, didn’t happen yet.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. No cakes planned until right before school starts.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I probably hit it every day this week. It’s easy to do when it’s boiling hot outside.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. We have plans for July.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. Lots of 1: 1 time on my days off this week. As usual, the girls love their arts and crafts and the boy loves his board games.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. The garage sale hits have tapered off, so I am starting to post somethings on Ebay. No bites yet.
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. Done! Clear out our study corner hot spot.I hit this hard and totally redid my office using the organization suggested in Organizing Solutions For People with ADHD. The corner is cleared out and the bookshelf is more usable, especially since I sold most of my nursing texts to Amazon. I went through and tossed, shredded, or filed most papers, used colored files for easy visual recognition, pared those files down to only about 10, and cleared out my desk. Done! Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day and during naps. This is saving us $20-30/month. Success!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. I hope to have this done by end of summer.
Plant front yard tree.We learned that if we let the old roots decompose for another year, it will be easier to plant the new tree in the same spot next year and require a smaller hole. Bonus: it will save us money this year. We filled in the area and planted a little grass instead. Deferred! New goal: weeding and mulching flower beds, improving the plantings in the beds, replacing all outdoor lights (several are broken), and fixing and painting the mailbox. We still need to paint the mailbox.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. Still on the Procrastination List.
- Visit 6 different parks. The kids tried yet another new park during their outdoor summer camp this week, and spent a lot of time playing in a creek. We have plans to visit Winton Woods and Highfield Discovery Garden in July when some friends are camped there. My sister and I plan to take the kids to Shawnee Lookout and Smale Park this summer too. Five of six completed.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Nope
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. Let’s be real, until my degree is done, this is on the backburner.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I hit it several times this week.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I did brainstorm part of my next post but let’s be honest, school work comes first.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’s is complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.