I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I have $250 in my fund. The mister has $1000.
- Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200. This will start in late May. I will be working more then and should be able to easily cash flow this.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. Waiting to see the fallout from the ceiling repair, which will probably happen late February or early March. Right now we have it covered..
- Save $1050 for Christmas. I transferred $88 to my savings fund in January.
Save $1800 for outdoor playset. We’re talking about moving to make sure we have space in case family needs to move in with us. We’re shelving this completely.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. This month I am knee-deep in my practicum and have cut my hours. I may not have the bandwidth to do extra saving.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. I spent $124.46 for groceries out of my $500/month budget this week. I will get $4 in rebates from Checkout 51, Saving Star, and Ibotta that will get tucked away and eventually added to my Roth IRA fund. As far as entertainment, I got McDonald’s twice this week for our son. The poorkid had a rough week. He had testing in another city for 6 hours on Monday, and it went way past schedule. We got out at 2:30 and had not eaten since 7:30 and were starving. Wednesday night he got sent to urgent care and we were there for 4 hours until almost 11 pm. We don’t feed the kids fast food very often, so it was a special treat. Luckily the kid is on a high-calorie diet, so the extra calories were a plus for him. That’s $49 for February entertainment so far.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
- Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo. We had a Girl Scout meeting this week and I prepped the craft for our Clover patch. We made bird feeders from empty water bottles, made Valentine’s cards, and read a book about recycling. The meeting went over a little bit, but the girls had a great time. Between prep time and meeting time, it was about 2.5 hours. I have donated my usual $27 to Plan USA and I donated $15 to my friend Kym’s Donors Choose account. Kym is an awesome teacher and is always coming up with new ways to engage her students in her classroom. I also donated $10 to my best friend’s Pelatonia ride. Over the past 7 years, she has raised almost $45K for cancer research this way.
- Complete my master’s degree! I am basically working 7 days a week now. I did a lot of grading this week, came up with some quiz questions for the course I am helping to rewrite, taught Population Health for 4 hours last night, and head out to teach students on the OB unit today. I spend a lot of time preparing, but those hours don’t count towards my practicum hours. Thank God there is no homework due this week!
- Date night with the husband once per month
- Read 1 book per month– During my son’s appointment on Monday, I got some schoolwork done, but I also read 3 (free) magazines and got 25% of the way through The Rule of Benedict. I have this story idea and am getting some really good information about not only how a monastery is designed, but also in understanding the motivations of the people who may be living there.
- Monthly me-time with friends. My friend Jen and I love theater, and we’re seeing Something Rotten at the end of February. We are already excited about the shows that are coming next season, and HAMILTON in 2018. Squee! We will be buying the el cheapo matinee subscription again.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. This is going to be languishing until April.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container. My Aunt Judy gave me scrap fabric to practice with for Christmas. No time this week.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. The birthday party is tomorrow! I am going to stretch my icing skills by making an Octonauts cake. Cross your fingers that it doesn’t look like a Cakewreck.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I have hit it 5 out of 7 days this week. I I brought two bottles to class last night and was able to drink as I taught. Clinical days are rough because I am on the unit from 1130-5 and we don’t have a break. I can’t carry a bottle around with me, so all I can do is duck in and chug a cup once during the day. The life of a nurse!
- Survive my practicum without eating fast food. I made it through last week without eating trash, but my son and I had McDonald’s twice after long medical appointments. Today I am bringing water, nuts, and string cheese to snack on after my clinical day.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. My son and I had a late lunch at Mickey D’s after his appointment. The toddler has gotten a lot of 1:1 time when her siblings are at school and I am not working. The 6 year old and I did an art project yesterday and we have been doing reading/alphabet time daily.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet.
- Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. We plan on making the girls’ combined birthday present a fish tank. We will be doing an express clean tonight.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. The clearing off I did is still intact and looking good.
- Get the toddler potty trained! We are using a free printable reward chart. Our youngest has been keeping dry pretty often during the day but still has daily accidents. She has been waking up dry pretty frequently though!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though.
- Plant front yard tree. It’s still winter.
- Paint half bath. Not yet.
- Visit 6 different parks. Too cold!
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. School has the priority this week again.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. It’s probably unrealistic to expect to do anything extra in February. I am committed seven days a week and am coasting on fumes and caffeine.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my practicum.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I’ve hit it maybe one day this week.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I am barely treading water right now. I finish two of my practicum sites around March 7th, and my OB site on March 10th. I am shooting for after that point.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my practicum.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.