I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I have $250 in my fund. The mister has $1000. The goal is for him to do this every month until the 2017 fund is full, and then use that towards the HVAC, car replacement, play set, and extra savings. I expect to add only $250 to mine this month, but once end of March/early April rolls around and I pick up more shifts, I want to save $460/month for this.
- Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200. This will start in late May. I will be working more then and should be able to easily cash flow this.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. Waiting to see the fallout from the ceiling repair, which will probably happen early March. Right now we have it covered up. We were all sick this past weekend, so the toilet replacement is happening today.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. I transferred $88 to my savings fund in January. I plan to do the same at the end of this month.
- Save $1800 for outdoor playset. This is back on. My FIL suggested that even if we move (and that is up in the air still) we could always break it down and bring it with us.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. This month I am knee-deep in my practicum and have cut my hours. I may not have the bandwidth to do extra saving.
Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment.I spent $135.45 on groceries out of my $500/month budget this week, and spent $457.85 for the month. I got $2.95 back from Ibotta. As far as entertainment, had a date night at Olive Garden and used a gift card for part of it, spending another$20 on dinner. We are at $105 for the month.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo. We had two Girl Scout meetings this month, so 5 hours have been completed. I have donated $52 to charity this month, so that goal is met.
- Complete my master’s degree! I am basically working 7 days a week now. This week is more teaching in the classroom and at the hospital and lots of grading papers.
Date night with the husband once per month.We went to the Olive Garden on Saturday. We were going to see a movie, but everyone was coming down with a cold and we went home and turned in early instead.
- Read 1 book per month– I am 50% of the way through The Rule of Benedict. I have this story idea and am getting some really good information about not only how a monastery is designed, but also in understanding the motivations of the people who may be living there. The Kane Chronicles is finally available to me on the digital library app, so I am reading that next. I haven’t had much time to read this week, so I haven’t made much progress.
- Monthly me-time with friends. My friend Jen and I love theater, and we’re seeing Something Rotten on Saturday.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. This will probably happen when I am done with my master’s.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. This is going to be languishing until April.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container. My Aunt Judy gave me scrap fabric to practice with for Christmas. No time this week. I have Girl Scout patches that need to be sewn on, but those will have to wait.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. The mister and I have birthdays in March, but I won’t be icing a fancy cake. Instead, I’ll be making our favorite Tuxedo Cake. Think of it as a giant Ding Dong. I’m thinking of doing some shamrock or flower sugar cookies with royal icing to work on those skills this month though.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I have hit it 6 out of 7 days this week. I’m still not getting enough on the days I teach at the hospital.
- Survive my practicum without eating fast food. Last week I hit Wendy’s and got a Coke again. I have two to three long Fridays of teaching left and, well, it’s helping me survive.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. We are figuring out summer camp right now (our older kids will do 1-2 weeks each, probably computer programming and cub scout camp for the boy, art for the girl, and a combined week of outdoor park camp for both).
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I went to the park yesterday because it was a balmy 65 in February! The Boy and the Mister worked on his Pinewood Derby car for Cub Scouts this past week and our 6 year old and I did some reading together.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet. Our sitter heard of a family that is moving here from the Philippines so their son can get treatment at the local children’s hospital. They will need furniture and winter clothes, and I am donating our son’s winter 18m-2T clothes and his 18M winter coat to them.
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. We plan on making the girls’ combined birthday present a fish tank. I tackled this and cleared it off yesterday, and our kindergartener dusted it.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. The clearing off I did is still intact and looking good.
- Get the toddler potty trained! We are using a free printable reward chart. Our youngest has been keeping dry pretty often during the day but still has daily accidents. She has been waking up dry pretty frequently though! No changes here.
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though.
- Plant front yard tree. It’s still winter, but spring seems to be coming early. This may be happening in 2 months.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. We will need to repaint the ceiling when the ceiling is repaired, so we are talking about just painting the living room, which has never been painted since we moved in 12 years ago, the half bath, and the master bedroom.
- Visit 6 different parks. The Little and I hit the neighborhood playground yesterday. It’s going to warm up soon, so I am starting to make plans.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. School has the priority this week again.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. It’s probably unrealistic to expect to do anything extra in February. I am committed seven days a week and am coasting on fumes and caffeine.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my practicum.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I am barely treading water right now. I finish two of my practicum sites around March 7th, and my OB site on March 10th. I am shooting for after that point.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my practicum.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.