I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I have $500 in my fund. The mister has $1000. The goal is for him to add $1000 every month until the 2017 fund is full, and then use that towards the HVAC, car replacement, play set, and extra savings. When I pick up more shifts this month and next, I want to save $460/month for this.
- Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200. This will start in late May. I will be working more then and should be able to easily cash flow this.
- Save $3000 for HVAC replacement. Not yet.
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. Waiting to see the fallout from the ceiling repair, which will probably happen early March. Right now we have it covered up.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. I transferred $88 to my savings fund in January and February. I have $176. I plan to save $88/month for this.
- Save $1800 for outdoor playset. This is back on. My FIL suggested that even if we move (and that is up in the air still) we could always break it down and bring it with us. Nothing yet.
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. This month I am knee-deep in my practicum and have cut my hours. I may have no bandwidth to do extra saving until next month.
- Spend $500/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on entertainment. I spent $457.85 in February, and spent $138.84 for this first week of March. I got $0.75 back from Ibotta. This is a five-week month, so my budget is $625. We will spend money on Chick-Fil-A tonight, since it’s the last night of the class I am teaching and I’m bringing it for a carry-in.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
- Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo. We will have two Girl Scout meetings this month. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan.
- Complete my master’s degree! I am basically working 7 days a week now. By this time next week, I will be done with three of my four practicum experiences. At most, I may have a little grading to catch up on.
- Date night with the husband once per month. We have a sitter scheduled at the end of the month for a date.
- Read 1 book per month– I am 50% of the way through The Rule of Benedict. I have had so much grading to do that I haven’t made any progress.
- Monthly me-time with friends. I have tickets to see Mamma Mia on the 11th, and I am having dinner with a couple girls from work one night soon.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. This will probably happen when I am done with my master’s.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. This is going to be languishing until April.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. It’s still in its container. My Aunt Judy gave me scrap fabric to practice with for Christmas. No time this week. I have Girl Scout patches that need to be sewn on, but those will have to wait.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. The mister and I have birthdays in March, but I won’t be icing a fancy cake. Instead, I’ll be making our favorite Tuxedo Cake. Think of it as a giant Ding Dong. I’m thinking of doing some shamrock or flower sugar cookies with royal icing to work on those skills this month though.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. I have hit it 4 out of 7 days this week. Not a great week.
- Survive my practicum without eating fast food. This week = fail!
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. We are figuring out summer camp right now (our older kids will do 1-2 weeks each, probably computer programming and cub scout camp for the boy, art for the girl, and a combined week of outdoor park camp for both).
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I have had lots of quality time while the big kids were in school. The Boy and the Mister worked on soap carving and knife skills with Cub Scouts this past week. Our 6 year old and I played a game together.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet.
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. We plan on making the girls’ combined birthday present a fish tank. The fish tank is on the counter and the Mister is getting it ready for a fish.
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. The clearing off I did is still intact and looking good. There are a couple more things on top to store away, but it looks good.
- Get the toddler potty trained! The Toddler has been waking up dry most mornings and had gotten herself to the potty a few times without help.
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though.
- Plant front yard tree. It’s still winter, but spring seems to be coming early. This may be happening in 2 months.
- Paint half bath. Not yet. We will need to repaint the ceiling when the ceiling is repaired, so we are talking about just painting the living room, which has never been painted since we moved in 12 years ago, the half bath, and the master bedroom.
- Visit 6 different parks. It’s going to warm up soon, so I am starting to make plans. I have a couple places on my list. We will hit one on Spring Break for sure.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. School has the priority this week again.
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. It’s probably unrealistic to expect to do anything extra in February. I am committed seven days a week and am coasting on fumes and caffeine.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my practicum.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. I am barely treading water right now. I finish two of my practicum sites around March 7th, and my OB site on March 10th. I am shooting for after that point.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my practicum.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed.
How are your goals going?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.