I’m keeping myself accountable this year by tracking my progress on my 40 Goals for 2017 every week.
This post may contain referral/affiliate links.
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted anything at all, I know. When I took two weeks off from grad school, I decided to take two weeks off everything else I could, and it was wonderful.
- Max Roth IRAs for the mister and I: $11000. I am thrilled to say the Mister is already nearing 100% with his 2017 Roth and is at $4500. I have $1000.
Cash flow 4 months of swim lessons at Aquatots for our son and older daughter: $1200.The classes won’t start until the last week of May, but we have opted to do four weeks of their summer fast track lessons. The cost was $643 and half the amount we originally expected to spend. We cash-flowed this one. Boom! Save $3000 for HVAC replacement.This will be sitting in savings until next year, but we are also at 100% for this as well. Done!
- Save $4000 towards the mister’s car replacement fund. Not yet. We tend to build up and then dump every few months, so we’ll see how this looks at the end of summer.
- Save $1050 for Christmas. $264 in my Christmas savings so far.
$1800$3000? for outdoor play set. This is on the Mister’s proscrastination pile. Summer break starts in about 4 days. Still waiting!
- Save $750 towards next year’s 2018 family vacation and $ 750 towards my 2018 40th birthday trip ($125/month). We have $113 from last year’s garage sale earnings that I put towards our vacation fund. We’ll probably do a dump into this fund in the fall.
$500600/mo or less on groceries and $100/mo or less on my fun money. I signed up with Platejoy.com to help me plan low-carb healthy meals within the macros I am striving to meet. I have spent $337 so far in May.
- Finally roll over one of my 401Ks. Not this week!
Give: 5 hours of volunteer time and $50/mo.This month, we will have our last two Girl Scout meetings of the school year and I am trying to set a date for my next twice-exceptional parents meeting for early June. I donated $27 for the child in Gambia we sponsor from Plan and $42/ to St. Jude’s . I donated an additional $20 to a funeral fund for someone in my hometown.
- Complete my master’s degree! I finished this week’s homework already so I can enjoy my cousin’s wedding tomorrow, and I now have 3 weeks of homework to go! The last day of my program is July 3rd. Graduation is mid-August. I just bought my pin for my master’s pinning ceremony (pinning is a nursing thing), and it was $37. I sent in my graduation application and ordered my master’s gown, hood, and cap. Those pieces cost me nothing, not even shipping! I will probably be booking a hotel room to stay overnight, because it is several hours away and my pinning ceremony is early in the morning. Our kids are less likely to be disruptive if they haven’t spent hours in the car before a long and boring ceremony.
- Date night with the husband once per month. We are planning to try a new local pub starting by a Scottish family, that is supposed to have great authentic cuisine.
Read 1 book per month–I am working on Hedda Hopper’s The Whole Truth and Nothing But and am about 60% done. It’s only OK, and I am glad I did not buy it. This makes 8-going-on 9 books read out of 12.
- Monthly me-time with friends. I had to cancel my plans with my work buddies this week thanks to crazy volume at work. This month will probably be a bust, but between Mother’s Day, our anniversary, our son’s birthday, and end of school year, May is our busiest month.
- Complete one freelance submission. Nothing this week. I will schedule it in for July.
- Finish the afghan languishing in the closet. I have not touched this since my last break, but this week is another school break, so I hope to do a few more rows.
- Learn how to set up my sewing machine and complete one simple project. OK, didn’t happen yet. I picked up 3 shifts this week and am off Wednesday, so I might tackle this that day.
- Conquer iced cookies and icing a cake. No cakes planned until the summer.
- Drink 64 ounces water daily. Much better this past week, and I probably hit it 6 days.
Survive my practicum without eating fast food. We are calling this a 50% success.
- Visit family in Cleveland. Sometime this summer. Maybe July? The kids are begging to go to Lake Erie again.
- Weekly 1:1 time with each child. The Little and I always have lots of quality time when the bigs are in school. My girls each spent time helping me garden this week. The boy and I have started reading together at night before bed.
- Sell my son’s old clothes. These are hiding in the closet. I am putting this off this until the summer
Complete kitchen counter clear-off to prepare for a fish tank. Done!
- Clear out our study corner hot spot. Sunday I am planning another big organization day.
Get the toddler potty trained!The Toddler, or should I say the soon-to-be-Preschooler, has officially crossed over and is completely in underwear during the day. Even her night-time diapers have been dry 90% of the time. I have put off our monthly Subscribe and Save order of Huggies Pull-ups. This will save us $20-30/month. Success!
- Hang pictures in front hallway. Nope. They are now neatly stacked and ready to go though. I hope to have this done by end of summer.
Plant front yard tree.We learned that if we let the old roots decompose for another year, it will be easier to plant the new tree in the same spot next year and require a smaller hole. Bonus: it will save us money this year. We filled in the area and planted a little grass instead. Deferred! New goal: weeding and mulching flower beds, improving the plantings in the beds, replacing all outdoor lights (several are broken), and fixing and painting the mailbox. Weeding and mulching has been done, and a few flowers bought. The mister replaced all outdoor lights and scrubbed off the algae growing on the mailbox and the north-facing side of our house. I spent hours on Mother’s Day planting an herb pot and planting in the front of our house. I love it!
- Paint half bath. Not yet. Next on agenda is fixing a leak in the master bath so we are safe to finally drywall the ceiling. Once that is done we paint!
- Visit 6 different parks. Spring is here! We tried three new parks so far, the last one being the state park where we hiked for Girl Scouts. Three of six completed.
- Complete Etsy Essentials and Brilliant Pins courses. Not yet. Maybe next Monday?
- Start posting regularly on my Best Geeky Baby Names site. Let’s be real, until my degree is done, this is on the backburner. I have posted on the Facebook page a few times though.
- Purchase the virtual real estate for the other four sites I want to create. Not yet. Waiting for a sale.
- Incorporate as an LLC. I am putting this off until after my master’s is complete.
- Explore affiliates for my sites. I signed up for Share a Sale but need to look at which ones to work with.
- Double my daily traffic for Frugal Stepping Stones. I haven’t hit it once this week, but I also haven’t been very active on other blogs that bring traffic. I gave myself permission to relax during my break.
- Start a monthly newsletter. Not yet. Also on the agenda for the next two weeks.
- Expand my Emergency Menu Plans by one new plan each month this year. Yikes! I am still procrastinating on this.
- Do one guest post. Not yet, but I have a few ideas where to reach out. This will happen after my master’sis complete.
- Interview one person for the blog. I have someone who is interested in being interviewed. It will be later this year.
How are your goals going?