I don’t expect perfection every week. No one should. What goes unnoticed, goes unchanged.
- I did a quick survey and received $1 via PayPal.
- I picked up 1 and a half shifts this week. I worked from 4 am to 8 am for the half shift so we could avoid paying a sitter. Let me tell you how getting up at 4 am is not my favorite.
- Watched a movie on Netflix for family movie night.
- It was our turn to bring snacks for the Lego Robotics team. There are only 4 kids on the team, so I sent leftover water bottles from a party this summer.
- I worked on Monday and had an eye appointment on Wednesday, so we walked to preschool on Friday only. I needed to update my prescription lenses, and found out our insurance covered lenses, scratch resistance, and frames up to $200. I got a pair for free and bought sunglasses and backup pairs through Zenni Optical and Eyebuydirect. I spent about $100, as planned, and will get reimbursement from our HCFSA. I am excited to have sunglasses and a backup pair for the first time ever.
- Fall weather is settling in, so the air and heat have both been off the majority of the week. There were a couple time I turned the air on in the evening for 2-3 hours, then turned it off again once it was dark. I have also preheated the bed with our mattress warmer to avoid turning the heat on at night, when it dipped into the 50s.
- I baked bread twice this week, for $0.75 per loaf.
- We participated in a food pantry drive, leaving a bag of supplies on our doorstep. We didn’t have any of the foods they requested (canned pasta, Hamburger Helper, Mac ‘n Cheese) since we just don’t eat those kinds of things, but I do have a healthy stockpile of free or nearly free body wash, soap, deodorant, and toothpaste. I donated about a dozen items for pretty much free.
- I kept my daughters busy this week with toilet paper roll crafts. This cost us nothing extra, as we used supplies we already had.
- I read a few magazines for free on the Ohio Digital Library.
- I stuck to my guns and we ate out zero times this week.
- I watched the latest episode of Big Bang Theory on CBS.com and the latest episode of Vicious through the PBS Roku app. I watched the new episodes of a couple shows on Hulu as well.
- We bought two cooperative board games for the kids on Amazon (though they were recommended by a professional to work on social skills). I did use $10 in Discover cash back, and opted for no rush shipping, which will get us $1 in credit towards Amazon Video or Kindle purchase.
- I worked on Christmas shopping, and got some deals on Amazon and Zulily. The stumble is that I noticed a Zombie Wind Spinner for Halloween on Amazon while shopping and bought it!
- We thought we would be able to see the new episodes of Dr Who on Hulu, but turns out we had to buy the season on Amazon. This is OK for us, though, since we have a year of Hulu from a gift card, and don’t anticipate buying a season of any other show except Downton Abbey this year. I have some Amazon credits piling up we can use for that.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.