- I got a $5 Fandango gift certificate for a Disney movie after buying Huggie’s pull-ups.
- We used a Tim Horton’s gift card to buy coffee for our cousins and to try a bag of their coffee ourselves.
- I deposited my unclaimed funds check for $104- as well as a $2500 check from our homeowners insurance.
- After cancelling our amusement park visit yet again, we decided not to get any season passes next year. We plan on no memberships at all in fact, figuring the travel we plan on doing should be enough.
- The kids camped in my in-laws’ backyard this past week. We borrowed a tent from our cousins Dawn and Chris.
- We went out of town for a few days and made French toast to use up bread and eggs before going on vacation.
- My mom and sister watched the kids all day last Sunday so I could do my school work.
- We brought a jar of water balloons and a water balloon pump to our niece’s 5th birthday. We had been bought it on clearance 3 years ago andit had been sitting in our basement. Our daughter Miss E hand-made a card for her cousin.
- My SIL sent my kids home from the birthday party with snack bags, cake, and juice boxes.
- I actually got to read for pleasure this week! I borrowed The Danish Girl on the digital library (I enjoyed it and want to see the movie too) and a new to me Rick Riordan book, Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard: Sword of Summer.
- I really want to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I put a hold on it at the Ohio Digital Library and have dropped from number 36 in line to number 11. My copy of John Adams just became available, so I need to plow through that first.
- My in-laws took us out for Mexican. My SIL bought the kids their first Sno Cones. We spent a morning at a beach on Lake Erie that required no admission. We brought our own drinks and snacks. We stayed for free at the in-law’s house.
- My MIL sent us home with the motherlode of food plus a blow up swimming pool for the kids.
- My MIL took our 5 year old clothes shopping for school and bought outfits, socks, and underwear for each of the kids.
- Our son enjoyed playing the vintage board games Grandma and Grandpa have had for decades, especially a 1976 Sinking of the Titanic board game that seems to be going for around $50 on Ebay.
- Grandma and Grandpa’s cat (who used to be ours until our first child was one) did something she never had done before- she freaked out and scratched our two year old daughter in the face, including the right eye. Thankfully the cornea was not hit, but it required a long urgent care visit out of town, medicine, and a late night drive through meal. Because we chose the pediatric urgent care, it was only a $25 copay. We had to travel to two pharmacies, as the first one only had the medication with strawberry- her only allergy- and we had to stop and finally feed the poor kid at Wendy’s at nearly 10 at night so we could get her first dose of meds in. We spent about $40 in antibiotics, probiotics, and ibuprofen. This also means the cat will be boarded out any time we come to visit.
- Everyone in our community got a long letter this week from our HOA telling us our fees will essentially double for the next 6 years. Unsurprisingly, no one is happy about it.
This post contains affiliate links.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my latest content by email. As a thank you, I'll give you my grocery-saving tip sheet:
10 Steps To Save $100 or More Per Week.